Hey, Soap Fans!
OK, so here’s what we at LTAS are thinking about last night’s Daytime Emmy’s:
1. If, God forbid, they broadcast them online again next year, some technical glitches need to be worked out.
2. Red Carpet hosts: Um, we’re confused. Why did they know nothing about their subject matter. They had us thinking Maura and Tyler were a couple for a second! Too much frenetic energy–they needed to take it down at least two notches. The red carpet is not a good place for controversial jokes about rape and race. It’s a place for light, superficial banter about clothes and brief questions about stars jobs and maaaaaaaaybe some personal stuff. Also, the switching back and forth between the two sets of hosts left us feeling exhausted. The order of hot messiness goes in this order. Brittany Furlan, Lauren Elizabeth, Meghan Rosette, and Jessica Harlow. The last three weren’t even really hot messes, they just didn’t know their material. I can sort of see why the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences hired them–their huge social media followings. But that is only half the necessary equation! They would have had to know about soaps too! Oh, well. They’re young women, we shouldn’t be TOO, too hard on them.
3. We loved Kathy Griffin but would liked to have seen more of her. The Gellar/Lucci joke was a liiiiiiiitle cringeworthy, but we see what you were trying to do, KGriff. And most we liked it.
4. Congrats to Y&R for all your wins!
5. Yay for OLTL’s win for best direction.
6. Our fave quotes [sorry I can’t find the names of two of the people who said them]:
a. “Here’s to a resurgence of the soap genre!” –Eric Martsolf
b. “…and to our dedicated and fiercely loyal fans…” –OLTL director
c. “Ernesto, baby! I love you” –a Latin gay man thanking his partner live onstage