A CALL TO ACTIONS FOR DALLAS, ABC, CBS, SOAP FANS! THREE STEPS: SIGN THE PETITION, COMMENT ON PETITION (WHY ARE YOU SIGNING?), AND SHARE PETITION WITH ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILIES, AND ON ALL YOUR SOCIAL NETWORKS.
Calling all Soap fans…we need your help! We at SOS have spent years writing, calling, agitating and protesting to get our Soaps back on the air. We admit that our focus initially was on the ABC soaps that we grew up with and loved so much, but over time we came to realize that all Soap fans had a personal, and emotional connection to their favorite Soaps no matter what network they were aired on. So we are now demanding that all cancelled Soaps return! That’s why we need your help. Our power is in our numbers. Not just ABC fans or NBC fans or CBS fans, but SOAP FANS. Together we cannot be defeated!
We have developed a petition that we plan to present to the networks that did or do carry soaps, and we need you to support us by signing that petition. Will you? Will you step up to help us return the Soaps to their heyday? You may be thinking, why should I? What are the chances of success? Well, without your help those chances are zero. With you, they are good…even great. Our petition is a call to action certain to get the attention of networks, because we understand what motivates them and we are prepared to hit them where it hurt–their bottom line. Will you help?
Just take a moment and think about this: There are now only FOUR soaps on the air!
This is an amazing thing to contemplate because at one time there were well over 10 and tens of millions of Americans tuned in each day to follow their “stories.” What happened? Corporate America happened, the VCR happened, talk shows and cheap reality programs happened. All of these conspired to take our Soaps away. When viewers could fast forward through advertising and when networks became obsessed with cheaper programming, companies started thinking of ways to get rid of our beloved Soaps–companies you know well, like Disney, which owns ABC, and Procter & Gamble actively worked to undermine and kill the Soaps they owned. Here is the Casualty list:
- Another World – Disney – 1999
- Guiding Light – Procter & Gamble – 2009
- As The World Turns – Procter & Gamble – 2010
- All My Children – Disney – 2011
- One Life To Live – Disney – 2013
How many of you memories are tied to these Soaps? How much would you love to have them back? Now think about how many Disney movies you own or how many Procter & Gamble products you have in your home. Those movies and those products are power because if you stopped buying them those companies would pay attention. That is our goal, to have a big enough financial impact on these companies to make them bring our soaps back. By signing our petition you will be joining us in making the following demands:
- We demand the return of Dallas, All My Children, One Life to Live, Guiding Light, and As the World Turns, to their original networks and time slots. If this demand is not met, we will boycott ABC/Disney, refusing to watch its network programming or purchase its sponsors’ products.
- We demand Proctor & Gamble’s resurrection of Guiding Light and As the World Turns. If this demand is not met, we will boycott Proctor & Gamble’s products.
- We thank Warner Bros for having picked up Dallas, but caution that the show must still be returned to CBS. When and if this is done, we will gladly watch your movies and patronize your products, while avoiding those of your competitors.
- We demand the return of soap opera production to New York City. Bringing the soaps back to NYC could result in up to 40,000 new jobs and $4 billion in revenue for that economy.